Monday, April 14, 2008

Dialectic Versus Didactic Teaching

I have noticed an odd thing about the way most churches teach Sunday school classes.

Usually, in the youth and young adult classes, the dialectic method of teaching (or thinking) is employed. The typical classroom arrangement is to sit in circles or semi-circles encouraging a more relational and interactive atmosphere. The format is usually topical.  There is much dialogue and it is informally guided by a discussion leader or facilitator.  Everyone is a participant in the process and the class is encouraged to share about “how this verse speaks to me,” or what “I think it means.”


That’s insane. There are too many intellectually vacuous, mush-headed, know-it-alls who think they can discover truth by pooling their ignorance.  They are the very ones who need to be taught Truth. They need to hear the absolute, authoritative Word of God. 

Frankly, it doesn’t really matter how one feels about a verse; the only thing that matters is “Thus saith the Lord.”  That is called the didactic method. 

Where do we generally employ the didactic method of teaching? We do that in the older adult classes. Those are the mature Christians. They are the ones who have walked with God for years. They have knowledge of His Word, and the wisdom to apply it, and probably, some know more than the teacher.


Yet in those classes, they open their Bibles and shut their mouths. They sit in rows and listen to a teacher exposit the Truth of the Word of God with authority.

That seems convoluted to me!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Bible says to "put off the old man." Clearly, this gives justification to any woman who wants a divorce.

Daisy said...

I'm usually a lurker but thought I'd say that my husband and I really enjoy your blog. Excellent post, as usual.

momof5hix said...

In my sunday school class, people share what they have learned or what God has taught them during the previous week. Most of what is shared, has nothing to do with the Bible. We get to hear of experiences and what they mean. We don't even make it to Bible verses.
Here is how I am learning: For years, I would read my Bible and then read the commentary at the bottom of the page to find out what this meant to someone else. I came across the inductive study method which is studying to find out what only GOD says.
Your blog is amazing. You have so much knowledge poured out in your blog!