Friday, May 9, 2008

Training Your Children For The Glory Of God

my daughter, Valerie, and her husband are both credentialed teachers who understand the importance of keeping their children far away from the evil influences of the godless public school system. They have five children so now Valerie is a stay-at-home Mom.

She has been busy evaluating Christian home school curriculum for next semester with her friend, Debbie. The following post is from her blog site titled, "Growing In Him":

"I have always had a desire to homeschool. I desire to train my children for the glory of God. I want to teach them that God is Creator of all things and we can have a personal relationship with our Creator. I want them to know God's Word and learn to hide His Word in their hearts. I want to train them in righteousness, to fear the Lord and to serve Him. This is what I believe God wants me to do, so I will act in obedience. I believe training my children is my God-given responsibility "Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6

Through many hours of praying and researching curriculum, we have chosen to use Students of the Word - http://www.sowcurriculum.com/.

This curriculum is Bible-based and all instruction comes from God's Word. This is a Christian Discipleship curriculum. “…from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.” 2 Timothy 3:15-17

God's Word says, "The LORD our God, the LORD is one. Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.” Deuteronomy 6:4-9.

As we use this curriculum, God's Word will be impressed upon their hearts. We have chosen classical conversations curriculum and Ray's Arithmetic to use as well.

I look forward to beginning the adventure. I look forward to spending my days with my children as we work together and learn. I am excited to see my children learn and grow in wisdom and understanding."

Valerie Hixson

No comments: