Tuesday, January 10, 2012

And That's When He Threw The Scumbags Out Of The House


We need statesmen like this in Congress today.

"I have always desired, above my life, a free parliament sitting by the authority of the good people of this nation.  A parliament open and visible to be seen by all men. 


"It is six years since I handed over to you this great responsibility in the hope that you would make good and wholesome laws which the people of this nation expected of you.  I must confess to some abatement of my hopes.  For what has happened in my absence?  Instead of uniting the good people of this nation with righteousness and peace which would have been a glorious and Christian thing to have done; what do I find?  Anarchy, corruption, division, and dissatisfaction. 

"I say the enemies of this nation have flourished under your protection.  You were from the beginning, a provisional government not truly representative of the people.  For have the people elected you?  Has this house gone once to the people it purports to represent?  No, it has not!  And after six years of misgovernment, what do we find?  That Thomas Fairfax moved a bill to give this house a further lease on this worthless and dishonorable life. 

"Gentlemen, an immoveable parliament is more obnoxious than an immoveable king.  Drunkards, tricksters, villains, whoremasters, godless self-seeking ambitious tricksters.  You are no more capable of conducting the affairs of this nation, than you are of running a brothel.  You are scum, sir; and a truly elected scum at that.  This is no parliament.  I shall put an end to your sitting.  I hereby declare this parliament dissolved."  

Oliver Cromwell's address to Parliament - From "Cromwell" starring Richard Harris

No comments: